Colonia del Sacramento Lighthouse [Historic Quarter of the City of Colonia del Sacramento] (Uruguay)
Colonia del Sacramento is a city on the La Plata River. Built by Portugal in 1680, it prospered as a trading port, but territorial disputes continued between Portugal and Spain. In the war of the early 19th century, the Eastern Republic of Uruguay became independent in 1828.
The construction of the lighthouse began in 1845 but was interrupted by the war. The work was resumed in 1855 and the lighthouse was completed in 1857. It has been used since then.
Adjacent to the lighthouse is the ruins of the San Francisco Monastery (on the right side of the pop-up card). The 17th-century monastery was destroyed in a fire in 1704. A lighthouse was built using the ruins.