RX100 is back

I asked Sony to repair my first generation RX100 that malfunctioned.
The repair was recently completed and I will write about it.

The photo shows the returned RX100 and the parts that were replaced.

The repair procedure was described on Sony’s website. For small products that can be carried around, a courier company will come to pick up the product. In addition to the repair fee, a shipping fee is required.

The estimated repair cost was also listed on the Sony website; for the RX100, RX100M2, and RX100M3, the flat-rate repair cost was listed as 16,500 yen.

I applied online, and the courier came to pick up it two days later. (We can specify the date and approximate time.)
They also provided a box, so all I had to do was hand over the camera.
I left the battery and SD card (without data) in the camera to make it easier for them to check it when they repair it, but maybe it would be easier for them without it.
The courier also checked the accessories and packed them.
This was on Friday.

On Tuesday, I received an email from Sony.
“Need to replace the flexible base due to a faulty."
“Need to replace front cab and inner cab replacement (due to control ring/mode switch rotation irregularities)."
“However, the grips attached to the front cab cannot be replaced, so they will be returned as is."

What is the “front cab"?  I guess it means the front exterior part because the grip is attached it. Is it short for “front cabinet"?

If I agree to repair it here, it will be repaired as it is.
The cost is 17,820 yen (including shipping).
If I do not wish to have the camera repaired, I only have to pay the shipping cost of 1,320 yen, and they will be returned to me as is.

Naturally, I sent back an e-mail asking for repair.

I received an e-mail from Sony on the same day saying that they would start the repair.
“Repair time is about one week (will contact you again if it takes longer)."
“The payment is to be made to the courier company by cash on delivery."

Friday of the same week.
The camera was sent back to me, exactly one week after I sent it in for repair. 
Not all of the replaced parts are sent back, which means that some are collected for verification. In my case, only the exterior parts with grips were returned.

Let’s strip and replace the grip.

I inserted a bamboo spatula and slowly peeled off the grip. This bamboo spatula is made from a disposable chopsticks and I often use for folding pop-up cards.
The double-sided tape is no longer usable, so I remove it cleanly.

I adhere the grip with commercially available double-sided tape. The tape is a strong adhesive type.

The double-sided tape is attached to the back side of the grip, and the overhang is cut off.

Attach the grip to the body, and the work is complete.

Now it can be used properly again. I used the camera for a while and the grip does not become unstable and seems to be fine.

The camera came with a cleaning cloth. It is for the camera body and LCD part, not for the lens.

The repair was very easy because I could apply for the repair online and the courier company took care of the packaging and fee collection.
I didn’t have to buy a new camera, and I am happy because I can continue to use a camera that I like.
The RX100 series is now up to m7, but I still prefer the lightest first generation.

Photo and camera

Posted by Sakyo K.